This is a collection of blog entries written while learning Lisp. It is posted in the order written so you probably want to jump to the first post.

Friday, October 12, 2007

Practical Common Lisp Chapter 1 & 2



I have begun reading through Practical Common Lisp

The author has put together a package with Emacs and SLIME called LispBox which is pretty cool. Maybe it is out of date (packaged in 2005 I think), but non less where LISP has so many different implementations and IDE's etc having this package pre built is a nice touch.

Back in 1999 during the first few weeks at RIT I attended a spontaneous seminar at CSH all about vim. And for the last eight years I have been using vi. :) Earlier this year I tried switching over to Emacs, but it was slow going and I ended up going back to vim one day when I needed to get stuff done asap. So I am enjoying walking through the Emacs tutorial (some new, some refreshing) while learning the basics of Lisp.

Chapter 2
Saving Your Work. It says "after you type the opening parenthesis and the word DEFUN, at the bottom of the Emacs window, SLIME will tell you the arguments expected" but I didn't see that. It did show up for format, but not defun

The first two chapters were a little bit of history, getting LispBox up and running, writing a hello world and walking around in Emacs.

No comments: